Looking for pumpkin prayer printables? Pumpkin prayers are something to do in Fall after all Fall is a wonderful time of year, with changing leaves, crisp air, and of course, Halloween! For some families, Halloween is a fun and festive holiday, but it can also be an opportunity to teach children about faith and gratitude. One way to do this is through a popular activity where children use a pumpkin as a visual aid to explain the meaning of the Christian faith. In this blog post, we’ll explore the Pumpkin Prayer and provide some free Pumpkin Prayer printables for kids.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my full affiliate disclosure here.
What is the Pumpkin Prayer?
The Pumpkin Prayer is a simple yet meaningful activity that uses a pumpkin to teach children about the story of Jesus and the message of salvation. The prayer involves carving a pumpkin in a specific way while reciting a prayer that uses each part of the pumpkin as a symbol for a different aspect of the Christian faith. Here’s the basic outline of the prayer:
- Cut off the top of the pumpkin and clean out the inside, removing all the seeds and pulp. This step represents Jesus cleaning out the impurities in our lives and making us pure.
- Cut out two large eyes in the pumpkin to represent the eyes of Jesus, who watches over us and protects us.
- Cut out a nose in the shape of a cross, symbolizing the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross for our sins.
- Cut out a smiling mouth to represent the joy and happiness that comes from knowing Jesus.
- Place a light inside the pumpkin and watch as it shines brightly, representing the light of Jesus in our lives.
The Pumpkin Prayer is a great way to teach children about the Christian faith in a fun and interactive way, and it’s a great alternative to more traditional Halloween activities.
Pumpkin Prayer Printables for Kids
If you’re looking for a fun and easy way to introduce your children to the Pumpkin Prayer, you can use printables. These printables include a variety of activities that help children understand the meaning behind the prayer and engage with the story of Jesus in a meaningful way.
Here are some examples of Pumpkin Prayer printables for kids:
- Coloring Pages: These coloring pages feature a pumpkin with the different parts labeled, so children can color in each part as they learn about the meaning behind it. This is a great activity for younger children who may not be able to carve a pumpkin themselves.
- Prayer Worksheets: These worksheets feature a variety of activities that help children engage with the story of Jesus and the meaning behind the Pumpkin Prayer. Activities may include matching games, word searches, and fill-in-the-blank exercises.
- Prayer Crafts: These crafts involve using a pumpkin or pumpkin-shaped materials to create a visual representation of the Pumpkin Prayer. For example, children may create a paper pumpkin and cut out the different parts to glue onto it.
- Prayer Devotionals: These devotionals provide a more in-depth exploration of the story of Jesus and the message of the Pumpkin Prayer. They may include Bible verses, reflection questions, and prayer prompts to help children connect with the message on a deeper level.
By using these printables, you can create a fun and engaging way for children to learn about the story of Jesus and the meaning behind Halloween in a way that is accessible and age-appropriate.
How to Use Pumpkin Prayer Printables
When using Pumpkin Prayer printables with your children, there are a few things to keep in mind to make the experience as meaningful as possible:
- Choose age-appropriate activities: Make sure to choose activities that are appropriate for your child’s age and skill level. Younger children may benefit from coloring pages and crafts, while older children may prefer worksheets and devotionals.
- Encourage discussion: Use the Pumpkin Prayer as an opportunity to engage your child in a conversation about faith and gratitude. Ask open-ended questions and listen
In addition to the pumpkin carving activity, many Christian families also use pumpkin prayer printables as a way to incorporate prayer and faith into their Halloween celebrations. These printables use the parts of a pumpkin as a visual aid to help children understand the importance of prayer and giving thanks. Here are some examples of pumpkin prayer printables and how they can be used:
Pumpkin Prayer Coloring Pages
Coloring pages are a popular choice for children, as they allow for creativity and also help with fine motor skills. Pumpkin prayer coloring pages are no exception. These pages typically include a pumpkin outline with different sections labeled for each aspect of the pumpkin prayer, such as “cleansing,” “opening up,” “removing seeds,” and “light shining through.” Children can color each section and use the accompanying text to guide their thoughts and prayers. Christian Preschool Printables has a great coloring prayer page with images by Valerie McClintick. Crafty classroom also has a coloring page you and the kids can enjoy.
Pumpkin Prayer Craft Templates
Craft templates take pumpkin prayer printables to the next level by allowing children to create a 3D representation of the pumpkin prayer. These templates usually involve cutting out and assembling a paper pumpkin with different sections for each part of the prayer. Some templates even include small cards with prayers written on them that can be placed in each section of the pumpkin. This is a great way to get children involved in a hands-on activity while also incorporating prayer and faith. The Church leaders website has a pumpkin craft idea which will focus your kids on God.
Pumpkin Prayer Bookmarks
Bookmarks are a practical and easy-to-use option for pumpkin prayer printables. They can be printed on cardstock and laminated for added durability. These bookmarks often feature a pumpkin outline with a short prayer or Bible verse related to gratitude or thankfulness. Children can use them to mark their place in their Bible or other books, and the pumpkin design serves as a reminder to give thanks in all things. Rebecca at out upon the waters has some templates to make pumpkin prayer bookmarks. You can print them out and glue them on to construction paper then punch a hole in the top and place a ribbon through the hole and there you would have made your prayer bookmark.
Pumpkin Prayer Word Searches
Word searches are a fun and educational way for children to learn. These printables usually feature a word search puzzle with words related to the prayer, such as “gratitude,” “thanksgiving,” and “faith.” After completing the word search, children can use the remaining letters to spell out a message related to the pumpkin prayer, such as “give thanks.” The my word search website has a pumpkin prayer word search that is easy for kids to do.
Pumpkin Prayer Worksheets
Worksheets are a versatile option for printables. They can include a variety of activities, such as coloring, tracing, and writing prompts. Some worksheets also include Bible verses or short prayers for children to read and reflect on. These worksheets can be used in a classroom setting or as part of a homeschooling curriculum.
Overall, pumpkin prayer printables are a great way to incorporate faith and gratitude into Halloween celebrations. By using the parts of a pumpkin as a visual aid, children can learn about the importance of prayer and giving thanks. These printables can be used in a variety of ways, from coloring pages to craft templates to worksheets, making them a versatile and engaging tool for teaching children about faith.